Saturday, July 17, 2021

Kit or Thinking Out Loud

 So I'm trying to figure out what kit I'll need after surgery, and what all I need to get done. I definitely need better measuring cups/spoons. Probably a bullet blender, especially for the post-surgery stage where you can only eat pureed foods. A food scale. Some protein shakes to start with so that I have them for after surgery. 

Folks have said not to get too much in the way of protein ahead of time because your tastes change after surgery and something you like perfectly fine now might make you sick afterward. Some shakes have samples you can purchase, so I guess I'll do that until I figure out what I can tolerate. 

I suppose I should do the same with groceries, and not load up on groceries before surgery because who knows what I'll actually be interested in eating after surgery when I get to the stage where I can have actual foods. 

I was looking on a website that sells bariatric-friendly foods, and they do have things like high protein snacks and meals. I think it's a little early for that. 

I have to clear off some shelf space for all of these items. I have a shelf I can probably use if I can find new homes for all of the stuff there. Our place lacks storage in a major way, which is why I got these shelves for the weird empty spot in the kitchen. Getting rid of the bread maker would certainly make some room. And I could move stuff onto the bottom shelf. Right now it's just a storage place for the bread maker and one of the cats. Biscuit likes to sit there and watch the dog eat like a little creeper. 

In general, I need to get the place cleaned up. I need to pair down some things so there's more room, which will help the cause. The dining room table has had stuff on it since forever, and it's mostly stuff I just don't know what to do with. I got the excess linens out of the bedroom eventually, so I am capable of actually following through with my efforts to organize. I just need to DO it. 

Easier said than done, of course. I have ADHD and starting/stopping projects is really difficult. Something that isn't linear, like organizing is especially difficult too. You work on this, see that out of place, skip over to that, forget what "this" even was, find a third thing that needs attention... it's not a good scene. I know it's going to be chaos, and it's going to get worse before it gets better, so I put it off. A lot. 

The ADHD is a whole separate issue. It makes things a lot harder than they have to be, and leaves me with low spoons a lot of the time (I'm sure being heavy and horrifically out of shape also contributes to low spoons too). Cleaning and even cooking are huge sometimes insurmountable tasks. So cooking the right foods after surgery is going to be a challenge. No more mostly pre-made stuff that's easy to slap together for me, probably. 

Another barrier I have toward keeping the place clean is that Biscuit loves to knock EVERYTHING onto the floor. I know having less clutter will help with this, but oh god it's discouraging toward keeping the place tidy when there's constantly stuff on the floor. A lot times I just leave it because if it's on the floor, he can't knock it back on the floor. I had a glass bottle of coffee liquor that he pushed off the refrigerator and somehow SOMEHOW it didn't break. He just dented the lid. I hope I'm not cleaning this set of shelves off to have a place to put the scale and the blender just to make a space for him to weasel himself onto, pushing off the blender in the process. 

So that's where we're at. I need stuff, and I need to do stuff. One requires money and the other requires energy and concentration (and a cat who will meet me half way). We'll see how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm still alive :)

 It's been a while. The surgery went well, if you can't tell from my previous post which was somewhat painkiller-laden. I got out of...